2019 HPV Vaccine is Cancer Prevention Award Winner Spotlights: Cobb Pediatric Associates
Cobb Pediatric Associates is the 2019 HPV Vaccine Is Cancer Prevention Champion, for the state of Georgia! The HPV Vaccine is Cancer Prevention Champion Award is an annual award given jointly by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), American Cancer Society (ACS)External, and Association of American Cancer Institutes (AACI). This award recognizes clinicians, clinics, practices, groups, and health systems that are going above and beyond to foster HPV vaccination in their communities. The criteria for the award is based on:
- Adolescent Health: The candidate must be a clinician, clinic, practice, group, or health system that treats adolescents as part of their overall population.
- Vaccination Rates: The candidate must reach target series completion rate of 60% for the patient population aged 13–15 years. The rate must account for both female and male patients. Vaccination under the two—dose schedule (two doses given at least five months apart in children ages 9–14 years) satisfies series completion, as does the original three—dose schedule.
In addition, Champions should also meet one or more of the following judging criteria:
- Leadership: The candidate is considered an authority on HPV vaccination in their community, medical system, or individual. Activities may include a clinician, nurse or office staff acting as a spokesperson, trainer, mentor, or educator, whether in their community or practice/clinic; a practice/clinic implementing a quality improvement project; or, creatively using AFIX visits to their advantage.
- Collaboration: The candidate has worked to build support for and increase HPV vaccination rates in their adolescent population. Activities may include establishing or strengthening partnerships, coalitions, committees, working groups, or other programs.
- Innovation: The candidate has used creative or innovative strategies to promote HPV vaccination or address challenges to HPV vaccination in their practice, health system, community, state, or region. Activities may include both new strategies and adapting existing strategies in new ways.
Congratulations to GA AAP members from Cobb Pediatric Associates (100% Club) on being Georgia’s CDC 2019 HPV Cancer Prevention Award Winner:
Denise Joseph Nakos, MD, FAAP
Beatrice U. Wilder, MD, FAAP
Christopher Richards, MD, FAAP
Noureen N. Husain, MD, FAAP
Kunal Mitra, MD, MBA, FAAP