A note from the Breastfeeding Committee Chairs
Greetings, pediatric colleagues. The Georgia Chapter Breastfeeding Committee, formed in 2020, is carrying on the robust work of the EPIC® Breastfeeding Education Program and adding to it several other important breastfeeding initiatives. Our committee has over 25 pediatrician and neonatologist members and is staffed by Claire Eden, IBCLC and Christie Jean. Read on for more information and links to resources to aid your work in supporting the breastfeeding goals of the families you work with.
-Tarayn Fairlie, MD, MPH, FAAP, IBCLC & Marché Smith, MD, FAAP, IBCLC
EPIC® Breastfeeding Education Series
Since 2007, the Georgia Chapter AAP has partnered with the Georgia Department of Public Health to equip Georgia Physicians and their staff with the education and resources they need to support optimal breastfeeding and to support families to reach their lactation goals. The Educating Physicians and Practices in their Communities (EPIC®) Program provides free, peer-to-peer education on clinical lactation topics of interest to physicians in Georgia and those healthcare providers working with them to promote, protect and support breastfeeding.
Click here to visit our website!
Breastfeeding-Friendly Pediatrician Certification Program
In partnership with the Georgia Breastfeeding Coalition, we are now offering the Breastfeeding-Friendly Pediatrician Certification Program! Research shows that medical training is deficient in preparing physicians to develop the knowledge base, clinical management skills, and attitudes to provide optimal support for breastfeeding families. Based on the AAP Clinical Report: The Breastfeeding Friendly Pediatric Office Practice, we invite outpatient pediatricians in Georgia to learn more about breastfeeding, develop their clinical skills, and document their practice in order to become certified and recognized as Breastfeeding-Friendly.
Read our FAQ form here. If you are a pediatrician in Georgia practicing outpatient pediatrics, please complete an interest form here to get started. Follow us on Facebook here and Instagram here to learn more about the program, our candidates, and to meet your local Breastfeeding-Friendly Pediatricians.
We look forward to helping you become a more breastfeeding-friendly pediatrician and to gain recognition for it!
©2021 American Academy of Pediatrics, Georgia Chapter
Congratulations to our first four certified pediatricians: Rebecca Kolesky, MD, Hiral Lavania, MD, IBCLC, Monica Moore, MD, & Donna Yeiser, MD
Learn more about our certificants through our recent press release.
AAP Breastfeeding Resources
The following sample documents can be downloaded and modified to fit your practice needs:
- AAP Breastfeeding Website Now you can find all the AAP Breastfeeding Resources in one place! Bookmark this!
- AAP Clinical Report: The Breastfeeding Friendly Pediatric Office Practice
- Supporting Breastfeeding and Lactation: The Primary Care Pediatrician’s Guide to Coding
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (ABM)
- ACOG The Physician’s Role in Human Milk Feeding
- ACOG Committee Opinion on Breastfeeding Challenges
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine Protocols
- Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding
- CDC Breastfeeding Report Card 2020
- Clarifying Clinical Lactation Care vs Breastfeeding Support
- ZipMilk: Find local breastfeeding help
- The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
- Georgia 5-Star Hospital Initiative
- Landscape Analysis of Breastfeeding-Related Physician Education in the United States