A note from the Breastfeeding Committee Chair
Greetings, pediatric colleagues. The Georgia Chapter Breastfeeding Committee, formed in 2020, is carrying on the robust work of the EPIC® Breastfeeding Education Program and adding to it several other important breastfeeding initiatives. Our committee has over 25 pediatrician and neonatologist members and is staffed by Claire Eden, IBCLC and Christie Jean. Read on for more information and links to resources to aid your work in supporting the breastfeeding goals of the families you work with.
-Tarayn Fairlie, MD, MPH, FAAP, IBCLC
EPIC® Breastfeeding Education Series
Since 2007, the Georgia Chapter AAP has partnered with the Georgia Department of Public Health to equip Georgia Physicians and their staff with the education and resources they need to support optimal breastfeeding and to support families to reach their lactation goals. The Educating Physicians and Practices in their Communities (EPIC®) Program provides free, peer-to-peer education on clinical lactation topics of interest to physicians in Georgia and those healthcare providers working with them to promote, protect and support breastfeeding.
Click here to visit our website!
We are currently rolling out our new Breastfeeding Friendly Pediatrician Certification Program, in partnership with the Georgia Breastfeeding Coalition! Based on the AAP Clinical Report: The Breastfeeding Friendly Pediatric Office Practice, we are inviting outpatient pediatricians in Georgia to document their practice and become certified. Read our FAQ form here. Please complete an interest form here. We have had a robust response so far and hope to certify at least 25 outpatient pediatricians by the end of 2021. We look forward to helping you become a more breastfeeding-friendly pediatrician and to gain recognition for it! Follow our program on Facebook here and Instagram here.
AAP Breastfeeding Resources
The following sample documents can be downloaded and modified to fit your practice needs:
- NEW AAP Breastfeeding Website Now you can find all the AAP Breastfeeding Resources in one place! Bookmark this!
- AAP Clinical Report: The Breastfeeding Friendly Pediatric Office Practice
- Supporting Breastfeeding and Lactation: The Primary Care Pediatrician’s Guide to Coding *UPDATED*
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (ABM)
- ACOG The Physician’s Role in Human Milk Feeding
- ACOG Committee Opinion on Breastfeeding Challenges
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine Protocols
- Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding
- CDC Breastfeeding Report Card 2020
- Clarifying Clinical Lactation Care vs Breastfeeding Support
- ZipMilk: Find local breastfeeding help
- The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
- Georgia 5-Star Hospital Initiative